Sunday, July 17, 2011

it's a marathon? really???

You know the old saying...life is a marathon, not a sprint.  I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I don't think this is right...in fact, I think such platitudes are downright harmful to one's soul.

This past week - no let's really be honest - these past several years I feel as if I've been running in a series of back to back to back to back marathons, and some days, ok many days, I am just plain worn out.  A quick scan of Runner's World (the worldwide authority for training and racing for over 40 years) reveals that marathons are serious business...for just $29 you can get a whole host of methods, plans and regimes to get you ready for the big day.  Hmmm sounds like great fun (especially if you enjoy running - not so much for the rest of us).

I wonder though, if we choose to live our faith life like it's a marathon if we're ever really doing much more than training for the Big Day...you know, the day we meet Jesus face to face.  That's what its all about, right?

Well, maybe there's more...(actually, I think there's a whole lot more to being a follower of Christ and a part of the kingdom of God).  We HAVE been commanded to love God and love one another, to care for the least and the lost and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ...but, at what cost?

I think there's a great deal of tension between doing and being.  While 'git 'er done' sounds great - I fear it's also making us into a culture that can't sit still and enjoy the simple pleasures of God's good creation.  I believe the scope of God's good creation includes a visit with friends, a walk outside, a Sunday afternoon nap, a home cooked meal (from scratch), time curled up on the couch with a loved doing nothing at all.  Trust me, I'm just as guilty as the next person...I'm just writing this to remind myself that perhaps, just perhaps it's time to slow things down and decide what really is important to God, to my family and to me.

Frankly, I am not into marathons OR sprints.  And I'm not advocating couch potato status either.  There IS plenty to do, I may just need to rethink how I set priorities and how to leave some things undone (gasp).

So, how about a nice walk...or come on by and let's sit on the porch and enjoy a glass of sweet tea.  I think its time for this gal to start to slow down and just be for a while.

Peace,
Deborah

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deborah!

    Thanks for this post --- it is what I needed to hear today!

    My counselor in seminary helped me articulate my own need for "interval training": periods of work and periods of rest, which, when alternated, make us stronger runners.

    It sounds good in theory but it has been hard for me to implement.

    But I'd love to stop by for a virtual glass of sweet tea!

    Diane (via Call2Discipleship)

    ReplyDelete