Friday, May 11, 2012

better than...


A Facebook friend posted the lyrics to this song earlier this week:

Better than a church bell ringing
Better than a choir singing out...

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody


Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah


(Amy Grant ~ Better than a Hallelujah)



The words really resonated with me.  No one wants to appear broken, and yet, our brokenness is part of our reality – its why we/the world is in need of a savior.   The Good News is (and always has been) that in the midst of our suffering, God is always, always, always there.  What a comfort, what an assurance! 

I know from my own experience that there are times when I hide behind a mask rather than express my true emotions because they are so real and raw, and I am afraid that this may be perceived as either weakness, whiny-ness or just plain brokenness.   In these times it’s always good to turn to God’s song book, the Psalms:

“Yes, my soul, find rest in God; 
    
my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.”  (Psalm 62:5-6)

As followers of Christ and members of the United Methodist Church we have a tradition of asking one another; “how is it with your soul?”  It is my hope that as we journey together in faith we are able to build relationships that allow us to be authentic and vulnerable with one another.  As the Body of Christ we are called to share one another’s burdens and celebrate one another’s victories.

So, my  questions today is – “how is it with your soul?” 

Really…I mean it…how is it with your soul?

in Christ, together
Deborah

(from my midweek reflection - 5/10/2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment